Spring 2019 Graduation Ceremony Information
- All degree, certificate, and occupational skills award requirements must be completed.
- A graduation application must be on file.
- All accounts must be paid in full at the Business Office.
- All holds must be cleared.
- No corsages may be worn on the graduation gown.
- Slacks or knee-length skirts are appropriate.
- Graduates may be standing for an extended period of time, so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Decorated graduation caps must be tasteful with no vulgar or inappropriate language or three-dimensional items extending from the cap that could obstruct the view. Decorated caps will be reviewed at the ceremony check-in. If these guidelines are not met, the cap will be taken a new cap will be issued for the ceremony.
Cap and Gown
The Blinn College District provides one set of a cap, gown, and tassel to each graduate participating in the ceremony at no cost. Students participating in the ceremony on May 9, 2019, may pick up their cap and gown between April 22, 2019 and May 9, 2019. Gowns sizes are based on height, and plus sizes are available. Caps and gowns do not need to be pre-ordered, and can be picked up at either the Brenham or Bryan Student Activity Offices in the Student Center. If you are unable to get to the Bryan or Brenham campus locations prior to May 9, 2019, please contact Ryan Miller at the Brenham Campus at 979-830-4282 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Lane King at the Bryan Campus at 979-209-7585 at email@example.com to make other arrangements for obtaining the cap and gown.
Tassels, Stoles, and Cords
Members of the following organizations may obtain special tassels, stoles, or cords from the organization’s coordinators. Please contact the coordinator for
Phi Theta Kappa-Brenham
Coordinator: Sophia Polk
Sigma Kappa Delta-Brenham
Coordinator: Amanda Phipps
Coordinator: Christina Mock
Mu Alpha Theta
Student Government Association-Brenham
Phi Theta Kappa-Bryan
Coordinator: Shonda Whetstone
Sigma Kappa Delta-Bryan
Coordinator: Olympia Sibley
Student Government Association-Bryan
Procedure Before Graduation Ceremony
- There will be a come-and-go reception hosted by the Blinn College District Alumni and Friends Association for graduates and their guests at the Brenham High School from 5:00-5:45 p.m. The Alumni and Friends Association will send invitations for the reception.
- Do not arrive at Brenham High School before 5:00 p.m. This is a regular business day for Blinn College and the staff will not be available to assist graduates or their guests before 5:00 p.m. Also, the Brenham High School students, faculty and staff will need time to leave the campus.
- Graduates can check in and line up starting at 5:45 p.m., and their guests can start entering the auditorium at 5:45 p.m.
- Graduates are expected to be at Brenham High School no later than 6:10 p.m. Please plan accordingly so you do not arrive late to the ceremony. There is not a rehearsal beforehand. Blinn staff will direct graduates to the proper area to line up. Please refer to the map below for directions to the high school.
- At check-in, graduates will receive a card with their name and degrees, certificates, and/or occupational skills awards listed. Graduates must keep this card until they reach the stage, then give it to the reader. The card will be used to read your name and later for the photographer to contact you. Graduates who apply for graduation by April 22, 2019, and are in progress for Spring or Summer 2019 graduation will have a pre-printed card. For others, the card will be completed at check-in if needed.
- Graduates will line up according to
degree(AA, AS, AAS, Certificates and Occupational Skills Awards). There will be staff members assisting in the line formation process throughout the ceremony.
- Students arriving late will be placed out of order at the end of the line.
- The procession leaves promptly at 6:20 p.m. following the administration and faculty.
- Please contact Disability Services by April 22, 2019, if you will need assistance with seating arrangements, the procession, or crossing the stage at 979-830-4410.
- Please leave all personal belongings (purses, jackets, cell phones) with your guests prior to check-in. Blinn will not be responsible for any personal items left at Brenham High School.
Procedure During Graduation Ceremony
- The tassel is worn on the right side of the cap.
- All graduates will walk in single file and remain standing until after the invocation, Pledge of Allegiance, and the National Anthem (men, please remove caps).
- At check-in, graduates will receive a card with their name and degrees, certificates, and/or occupational skills listed. Graduates must keep this card until they reach the stage, then give it to the reader. The card will
usedto read your name and later for the photographer to contact you.
- Each graduate will be recognized by the Chancellor and should receive the scroll in their left hand while shaking hands with their right hand.
- Diplomas, certificates, and occupational skills awards will not be distributed to graduates at the ceremony. Final grades are due on Friday, May 10, 2019. Diplomas, certificates, and occupational skills awards will be mailed in the weeks following the graduation date.
- Each graduate may invite as many family and friends as he/she desires. Please note that there is limited seating in the auditorium and seating is on a first-come,
first-servedbasis. There will be security on site to prevent reserved seating.
- Graduates and their guests are requested to be respectful to all graduates and the College by attending the entire ceremony.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices should be silenced.
- Absolutely no food, drinks, balloons, air horns, or other noisemakers in the auditorium.
- For information on obtaining a class ring, please contact the Blinn College Bookstore (Brenham: 979-251-7810 or Bryan: 979-775-1846).
- FLASH Photography is the official commencement photographer. Graduates will be photographed and proofs will be sent to each graduate the weeks after the ceremony. If you have any questions, please contact Flash directly via their website at
- Check the Graduation FAQs .
- For additional questions, please contact Kristi Reddoch in the Brenham Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979-830-4174.