Skip to main content

Academic Affairs

The Blinn College District provides a wide variety of academic courses and programs to help start or continue your education.

In addition to our Brenham, Bryan, RELLIS, Schulenburg, and Sealy campuses, Blinn teaches online courses as well as dual credit for high school, and prepares students for quick employment through its applied technology, workforce, and economic development programs. At Blinn, we truly have the courses available to fit the needs of any student.

Academic Affairs FAQs

An associate degree is a two-year college degree. Students who pursue this type of degree full-time can complete a program in as little as two years. There are two-year associate programs designed specifically for the workforce and those that are designed for academic transfer to a four-year university.

There are three types of associate degrees:

  1. Associate of Arts (AA): An associate of arts (AA) degree is a two-year degree that transfers into a four-yea, Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree.

  2. Associate of Science (AS): An associate of science (AS) degree is a two-year degree that transfers into a four-year, Bachelor of Science (BS) degree.

  3. Associate of Applied Science (AAS): The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is a two-year designed for immediate employment, upon completion.

    • Most AAS degree programs require students to choose an area of emphasis or specialty early on in the program, so students are adequately prepared for entry-level career positions within a specific business or industry area upon completion.

    • Some AAS courses are not granted transfer equivalency credit, nor will they fulfill the general education requirements of a bachelor’s degree program.

    • An AAS has more “applied” or “hands-on” course requirements, which means they are more practical in nature and are generally more focused on a specific career or vocational field.

Certificate programs provide a credential that is applicable for a certain type of job. Typically, certificate programs take a few months to complete. Earning a certificate allows you to keep your skills up-to-date and continue your education throughout your career.

  • If you are a worker who wants to gain some practical skills to earn more money, getting a certificate can help you earn a promotion or switch to a more rewarding career.
  • It is possible to get your certificate while keeping your current job.
  • Certificate programs are fast-paced career training, and typically last between a few weeks and one year.

A certificate shows an employer that you are dedicated to staying on top of your industry's latest technologies and practices. For example, computer programmers can get a database administration, information systems, or computer systems security certificates to increase their skills set and their potential earning power.

Certificates can help you get a job in most technical careers, including: Climate Control (HVAC), Electrical Technician, Welder, Machinist, CDL Truck Driving, and Heavy Equipment Machine Operator.

When deciding what kind of degree you may need, there are a few questions to consider.

  • What kind of job are you looking for?
  • Whatdegree requirements are needed for entry-level jobs in that field?
  • Is it a job that requires more science and math-based skills, or more humanities-related qualifications?
  • The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook is an excellent source for those trying to determine what degree or credential is needed for the career you may be interested in pursuing.

When You …

  • Already have some college, but less than 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits, and would like to add to your old credits quickly to earn a formal degree.
  • Already have about 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits of previous college and would like to find a college to quickly consolidate these credits into an associate degree.
  • Know you are seeking jobs with associate degree requirements.
  • Have no college experience but are certain you want to earn a full-fledged degree as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

Blinn College District Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) credits transfer to a variety four-year universities. Blinn also has articulation agreements with many Texas four-year universities. These articulation agreements align Blinn’s courses to the four-year university courses to ensure easy transfer into Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science programs at four-year universities across the state.

Academic Affairs Home All Programs Request Information Course Formats Applied Science Programs Programs Core Curriculum Tips for Student Success Accelerated Courses Blinn Navigators Academic Affairs FAQs Academic Support Services and Resources Professional Development House Bill 2504 Instructional Leadership Contacts