Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Available Benefits and Eligibility
Eligible service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. View current payment rates.
You may be eligible if you have an honorable discharge, AND you have a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit, AND you meet the requirements of one of the categories below:
- Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
- Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months
- Continuously served for three years or two years, if that is what you first enlisted for, or if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served four years (the 2 by 4 program).
Documentation Required for Chapter 30 Certification
- DD214 (Copy that shows Character of Service)
- VA Eligibility or Certificate of Eligibility
- Military Transcripts
- Certification Request (See Forms Page)