General Information for Current Students

Change of Name or Address

A student who changes his/her name, home or local address is asked to notify the Office of Admissions and Records and the Library of this change immediately. Students are responsible for notifying these offices of such changes. Any communication mailed by the College to the student at the name and address in their records is considered delivered if notification is not received of any changes. 

To change your local address log in to your myBlinn account and go to the ‘My Records’ tab. Permanent address changes must be made in person at Enrollment Services on the Brenham Campus and at the Office of Admissions and Records on the Bryan and Schulenburg campuses.

Adding and Dropping Courses

No courses may be added later than the date specified in this catalog. Students adding a course must make up the work missed within two weeks after a course is added. A charge of $15.00 is made for each drop or change. 

A student dropping a class after the first two weeks of a regular semester or after the fourth class day of a summer session will receive a grade of "W". Students may drop courses with a grade of "W" until Friday of the twelfth class week in a regular semester and the 15th class day in a summer term. Thereafter, a grade of "WF" will be recorded unless the student is withdrawing because of extenuating circumstances deemed by the instructor of the course or the College. Students may not drop or be dropped from a class after final examinations have begun. 

Classification of Students

A student who has earned fewer than 30 semester hours of college credit is classified as a freshman. A student who has earned 30 or more hours is classified as a sophomore. A student enrolled for at least 12 semester hours in a regular term or at least 4 semester hours in a summer term is considered full-time. 

Academic Transcript

An official transcript of college credits is a record of the student's academic record bearing the college seal and the signature of the Registrar. Blinn College provides transcripts to student free of charge. A student may obtain copies of his/her transcript by written request to the Office of Admissions and Records or by requesting the transcript through myBLINN. The written request must include full legal name or name attended under, dates of attendance, student ID/social security number, current telephone number and a legible signature. All admission information must be on file and all holds cleared before an official transcript will be released. Transcript Request Information

Grades and Incompletes

At the end of each semester the standing of each student in each course is reported by the instructor to the Office of Admissions and Records, and entered on records. Proficiency attained is expressed in grades A, B, C, D, P, NP, F, I, W, WP, and WF. The grade of I indicates that the course work was incomplete due to illness or other emergency and may be adjusted to the appropriate grade upon completion of the work required by the instructor. Work that would finish classwork already substantially completed will be the only consideration made for work suitable to be made up under an incomplete. A grade of I will become an F at the close of the time period defined by the incomplete contract. The grade of W indicates that the student withdrew before the official withdrawal date as set forth in this catalog. WP and WF indicate the student withdrew passing or failing respectively. 

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Blinn College is on a four-point grading system. For each semester hour, a grade of A has 4 grade points; B, 3 grade points; C, 2 grade points; D, 1 grade point. The maximum grade point score is 4.00 representing an A average. The grade point average is arrived at by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of hours attempted. All grades except I, WP, W, P, and NP are used in the GPA computation. 

Academic Good Standing

In order to achieve and remain in academic good standing at Blinn College, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (C). A 2.0 cumulative grade point average is the minimum required for graduation.

Scholastic Probation or Suspension

A student who falls below a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the close of any long semester or summer school will be placed on scholastic probation. Summer school (two sessions) is considered to be a unit equivalent to a semester. A student who fails to achieve a minimum 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA at the end of subsequent semesters will be placed on scholastic suspension. A student with a semester GPA of greater than 2.0 and a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 will remain on scholastic probation. Students being placed on scholastic probation at the end of the long semester or summer school will receive an email at their Blinn College buc account.  Students being placed on scholastic suspension at the end of the long semester or summer school will be mailed a letter at their permanent address.

Students transferring from another college with less than a 2.0 GPA, if admitted, are admitted on scholastic probation. These students must meet the same requirements in subsequent semesters as all other students on scholastic probation (see above).

A student placed on scholastic probation becomes ineligible to be a candidate for an elective or appointive office of a college-sponsored activity or social organization. This restriction does not apply if participation in the activity or organization is part of the requirements of a college course. The student may be required to forfeit college scholarships, be ineligible to represent the College, and may be subject to a loss of veteran’s benefits and other financial aid. A student on scholastic probation is required to be advised prior to registration. A student that registers prior to the conclusion of the semester they are placed on probation must be re-advised in order to keep their courses. A student placed on scholastic suspension will not be allowed to attend Blinn College for one long (fall, spring) semester. At the conclusion of this suspended semester, the student can reenter the College and will be placed on scholastic probation.

For those students who have been scholastically suspended but have extenuating circumstances preventing them from achieving the minimum 2.0 GPA, an appeal for reinstatement may be made. This appeal must be made in writing to the scholastic appeals committee. Information on the appeal procedure and deadline is included in the letter sent to suspended students. The decision of the scholastic appeals committee is final. No appeal for reinstatement may be made after the appeal deadline. If required, a student must make a
separate appeal for reinstatement of financial aid funds.

Disciplinary Probation

Blinn College maintains rules and regulations and reserves the right to dismiss or to place on disciplinary probation a student who violates or commits an infraction of the rules. The College reserves the right to remove the probation. A student who is placed on disciplinary probation forfeits the privilege of holding elective offices and honors. Any student placed on disciplinary probation or dismissed by the Disciplinary Committee will be afforded due process as provided by Blinn College Board policy. Additional information concerning disciplinary rules and regulations is included in the Blinn College Student Handbook.

Withdrawal From College

A student who desires to withdraw from the College after registration must secure an official discharge from the Office of Admissions and Records after returning all property belonging to the College, and clearing all financial accounts.

Residence Hall students must turn in their room and post office keys, and leave their rooms clean. They must get a clearance concerning possible room damage in order to receive a refund on their room deposit. Refunds must be requested from the Housing Office.

In accordance with state statute, should a student register and withdraw prior to the first day of classes, all tuition, fees (except registration fees and identification card fee), room and board will be refunded.

Tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who withdraws in good standing during the first four weeks of a regular semester, or the first week of a summer semester, according to the refund schedule. The refund on board is proportional calculated on a weekly basis. There is no refund on rent.

If a student who has a scholarship withdraws before the end of the semester, the scholarship is revoked, and the student may be required to repay the scholarship fund.

Students wanting to withdraw from school must submit a letter requesting withdrawal or complete the Blinn College Exit/Withdrawal Clearance Form. If the student submits a letter requesting withdrawal, the effective date of withdrawal will be the postmark date of the letter minus one day. When submitting the exit/withdrawal clearance form, the effective date of withdrawal will be the date the form is received by the Admissions and Records office. All requests for withdrawal must include full name, social security number, and student signature. Withdrawal letters should be addressed to the Office of Admissions and Records, 902 College Ave., Brenham, Texas 77833. Students attending any Bryan Campus should address their letters to the Office of Admissions and Records, P.O. Box 6030, Bryan, Texas 77805-6030. Students attending the Schulenburg campus should address their letters to the Office of Admissions and Records, 100 Ranger Dr., Schulenburg, TX 78956.

Students electing to fax their withdrawal requests should use the appropriate fax numbers listed below: 

Brenham Campus - 979-830-4110 

Bryan Campus - 979-209-7229 

Schulenburg Campus - 979-743-3978

Sealy Campus - 979-627-0830