Skip to main content

Hazlewood for Veterans

The Hazlewood Exemption

  • The Hazlewood Act provides Veterans with 150 semester hours of paid tuition. It does not cover the cost of books, non-tuition related fees, or parking related fees.

Program Eligibility

  • All recipients of the Hazlewood Exemption Act must meet the Financial Aid Office’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.
  • The veteran must have entered the service in Texas, and/or maintained a home of record in the State of Texas (as stated on the DD-214)
  • The veteran must have served a minimum of 181 days of active duty, excluding training time (for reservists).
  • The veteran must reside in the State of Texas to be eligible for benefits.

Documentation Required for Approval/Certification
DD-214 (that lists "Character of Service" copes 2-8):

  • Must show Place of Entry into Service, or Home of Record as within Texas, as well as active time served and nature of discharge.

2023-24 Hazlewood Application

2022-23 Hazlewood Application

  • Must be completed by the veteran, and submitted during the first academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) attending Blinn.
  • Must maintain a residence in Texas while using the benefit, or will be considered ineligible.

2023-24 Hazlewood Renewal Application

  • This form is used for enrollment of returning Blinn students subsequent to the initial enrollment at the school (Blinn College) in which the student is currently and consistently enrolled. If a break in enrollment or change of school occurs then the complete Hazlewood Exemption Application must be completed.
  • Example: Student received the Hazlewood exemption at Blinn during the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters, and is returning to Blinn for the Fall 2015 year. Only the renewal application is required to be submitted for the next academic year.
Request for Certification (See Forms Page)
  • To initiate a request to have your Hazlewood exemption applied to your account, you must also complete
    the request for certification for the applicable academic year for which you are attending. Click the link above to access the form for the aid year you are attending.