Skip to main content


Federal Work-Study is an excellent opportunity to earn money and obtain job skills while attending Blinn. The Department of Education allocates a limited amount of funds to Blinn for this program each year. Awards are allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students are qualified for Federal Work-Study through the standard FAFSA application process.

Federal Work-Study may be offered as part of your financial aid award package. To be eligible, you must demonstrate financial need based on the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

For more information on the Federal Work-Study Program, please email

Please check your financial aid status on your myBLINN account before submitting any of these forms.

Request Form


  1. Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and complete all requirements listed on your myBLINN account.
  2. Complete the Federal Work-Study Request Form.
  3. Once your work-study request is received, work-study funds will be added to your financial aid package based on your FAFSA eligibility. You must accept or decline the award on myBLINN. The Federal Work-Study funds will be canceled within 30 days if you do not accept or decline the funds, or if you do not find a work-study job.
  4. Once you accept your award, you must apply for a work-study position through Blinn’s Employment website. You will be able to review the open positions and job requirements on this site.

Can I earn as much money as I want?

No. Your Federal Work-Study award represents the maximum amount you may earn for the academic year. How much you receive will depend upon your rate of pay, total number of hours worked each week, and the number of weeks worked throughout the year. The maximum amount of hours that Blinn allows student employees to work is 19 hours per week.

Am I paid an hourly wage or salary?

 You are paid by the hour. Your rate of pay will be at least the federal minimum wage of $11.00 per hour.

How will I be paid?

You will be paid according to the Time Sheet Deadlines set by Human Resources. Your supervisor will be responsible for approving your time sheet in accordance with Human Resources.

If I am unable to earn my entire award, will I be able to receive the rest of the money?

No. You can be paid only for the hours you have worked. If you cannot earn the entire Federal Work-Study award by the end of the academic year, the unearned portion is returned to the program.

How many hours must I take to be eligible for Federal Work-Study?

You must register and maintain an enrollment status of half-time (six hours) or greater to be eligible. If, for any reason, your enrollment falls below half-time, you can no longer participate in the program and must stop working.

What are the benefits of the Federal Work-Study program?

Federal Work-Study is an excellent opportunity for students to gain valuable work experience with the convenience of working on or near their campus. The experience will help a student build valuable references for jobs after graduating from Blinn College.

What types of jobs are available?

Many departments hire student workers to provide support during the school year and summer. There are also several off-campus positions at various non-profit entities such as Habitat for Humanity, Brenham Public Library, Boys and Girls Club, and several others. You can apply for all open positions on the Employment website.

If I was not awarded Federal Work-Study funds, can I still apply for student worker positions?

Yes. You may still apply for student employment opportunities. Typically, every student employment position at Blinn College requires that the student be eligible for Federal Work-Study whether or not the position specifies this.