1098-T Tuition Statements

The Blinn College District is required under Internal Revenue Code Section 6050S to issue Form 1098-T for the purpose of determining a taxpayer’s eligibility for various tax credits and/or deductions. IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education can provide additional information about a student’s educational tax benefits. The most current IRS Publication 970 was issued on January 17, 2020 for tax year 2019.

The Blinn College District reports qualified tuition and educational expenses paid in a calendar year. In order to comply with FERPA regulations, Blinn cannot provide 1098-T information to parents or to tax preparers. Students can access their 1098-Ts from our 3rd party provider ECSI, and can pass them along as necessary.

Electronic Download Instructions

New in 2020

You may receive a 1098-T for 2020 even though your student did not attend college in calendar (taxyear 2020 because of an adjustment to, or a refund of a tuition payment that was reported in tax year 2019. For example, if a student registered and paid for a spring semester 2020 class in the fall of 2019; that payment would have been reported to the IRS as a payment on their 2011098-T. If the student drops that class in 2020, and receives a refund for that tuition payment, we must report the refund as an adjustment to the IRS, and provide you with a 1098-T to reflect that adjustment in 2020

If a student’s qualified tuition and fees are paid for by a third-party billing agreement or an exemption granted by the State of Texas; that payment will be reported as a scholarship/grant.

Students who may not receive a 1098-T

  • Students who take courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise entered in a degree program.
  • Non-resident alien students; unless requested by the student.
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships, grants, exemptions, or third-party billing contracts.
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between Blinn and the student’s employer or a government agency, such as the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Department of Defense.

2020 1098-T information

1098-Ts for tax year 2020 will be mailed by January 31, 2021. If you opted to receive your 1098-T electronically, it will be emailed to you the last week of January 2021.

When 1098-Ts are released, they will be available and accessible through the Heartland ECSI web portal. Students who would like to access an electronic copy of their 1098-T statement, or who have questions about how to receive an electronic copy of their 1098-T statement should go to the Heartland ECSI website.

1. When you get to the ECSI webpage, click the "Tax Documents" icon, as pictured below.

Tax Document

2. Next, click the Search button, as pictured below.

Search 1098t

3. Type Blinn College on the next screen and submit.

4. Enter the following:

  • First and last name
  • Social security number
  • Zip code of permanent address on file with Blinn
  • Click “I’m not a robot”

If you require assistance at any time during this process, ECSI maintains a Live Chat feature that is easily accessible on the Heartland ESCI webpage.

Prior Year 1098-T Information

Heartland ECSI also maintains 1098-T files online for tax years 2006-2019. To obtain a 1098-T in this time, follow the same directions given above for obtaining a 2020 1098-T. 1098-Ts are not available for tax years prior to 2005; if you need assistance for one of these years, contact the Blinn Business Office for further details.

Tax Preparation

  • The Blinn College District does not provide assistance in the preparation of tax returns. Questions regarding the usage of 1098-Ts in a tax return need to be directed to the student’s tax preparer.
  • Prior to 2018, Blinn reported qualified tuition and educational expenses BILLED for academic credit in a calendar year.
  • Examples of qualified tuition and educational expenses are tuition, general fees, and course fees. Expenses that are NOT qualified educational expenses are dormitory charges, meal plans, vehicle registration fees, and parking tickets.

For questions regarding Blinn’s 1098-Ts, contact Rebecca Marshall at rebecca.marshall@blinn.edu or 979-830-4287.