Rights and Responsibilities
By enrolling in classes at Blinn, I understand that I have rights and responsibilities as follows:
- A student shall have the right to participate in a free exchange of ideas, and there shall be no College rule or administrative rule that in any way abridges the rights of freedom of speech, expression, petition and peaceful assembly as set forth in the U.S. Constitution. (FLA Legal; FLAA Local; FLA Local) (Administrative Procedure for Expressive Activities on Campus)
- A student shall have the right to participate in all areas and activities of the College, free from any form of discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, disability, age, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. (FA Legal; FB Local; FFD Local; FK Legal)
- A student shall have the right to know the specifics of how they will be evaluated in class, and to file a grade appeal if they feel they have not been graded properly. (FLDB Local)
- A student has the right to personal privacy except as otherwise provided by law, and this will be observed by students and College authorities alike. (FJ Local)
- A student subject to disciplinary action arising from violations of Student Rules shall be assured a fundamentally fair process as set forth in College policy. (FMA Local)
- A student shall have the right to access the College’s Consumer Information as required in various Federal regulations and displayed on the College’s website.
- A student shall have the right to file a written complaint if they are unable to resolve a concern through established procedures. (FLD Local)
- A student has the responsibility to be fully acquainted with the published College student rules (found in the College Catalog) and to comply with them, as well as all federal, state, and local laws.
- A student has the responsibility to be fully acquainted with the College’s billing policies as well as meet all financial obligations to the College. More details
- A student has the responsibility to maintain communication with the College, including reading their Blinn e-mails and keeping the College updated on addresses and phone numbers.
- A student has the responsibility to seek out input concerning career, choice of majors, and selection of courses from various academic advising offices on campus, catalogs/advisors at transfer institutions, and other resources. All decisions related to academic coursework are ultimately the advisee’s responsibility.
- A student has the responsibility to show respect and honesty in disagreements with faculty, staff, administration, and others and to use the established channels to resolve complaints and concerns. (FLD Local)
- A student has the responsibility to respect the rights and property of others, including other students, the faculty, and College officials. (FLB Local)
- A student has the responsibility to maintain a level of behavior which is consistent in supporting the learning environment of the institution and to recognize the College’s obligation to provide an environment for learning. (FLB Local)