Skip to main content

International Student Travel

Traveling outside of the United States

International students who are traveling outside of the U.S. must submit a travel itinerary (copy of your travel arrangements) and receive a travel signature on their I-20 at least 3-5 business days prior to leaving the country.

Travel Signature:

  • PDSO/DSO signature is required on the second page of your I-20 authorizing your travel.
  • Drop your I-20 off at Enrollment Service for a signature at least 3-5 business days prior to your travel. This is NOT a same-day service.
  • Travel signatures are good for one year, you do not need a new signature as long as your travel dates (both departure and return) fall during the year that the signature is valid.
  • To receive a signature, you must submit your travel itinerary with your I-20.

Travel Itinerary:

  • If you need a travel signature you must bring your itinerary with you when you submit your I-20.
  • If you already have a valid travel signature then submit your itinerary to a minimum of 3 - 5 business days prior to any travel.
  • You may use the flight itinerary sent to you when you booked your flight. Make sure to include both your departure and return plans.
  • If traveling by car, your itinerary must indicate the date of departure and return; port of re-entry; and the make and model of the vehicle.

What to Take with You:

  • Passport - valid as long as it is at least 6 months before the expiration date.
  • Visa - valid as long as your planned return date is prior to the expiration date. If your visa has expired, you will need to renew it in your home country before you will be allowed back into the U.S.
  • I-20 Form - valid if it is signed on the front page and the program end date is after your return date. You also must have a travel signature on the second page that is dated within the last year.
  • If you are renewing your visa while you are traveling you will need to request an enrollment verification letter from the International Team. Submit an Official Letter Request form from the Resources section of this page.