Frequently Asked Questions

The HIT associate degree is two academic years in length, and each certificate is one academic year.

*An academic year consists of a Fall and Spring semester.

  • All health information technology (HITT) courses are only offered online. 
  • All academic courses are offered online and face-to-face at all Blinn campuses.
  • All degrees and certificates require the student to complete a clinical at a health care facility. A facility near your home can possibly be arranged.

A student can begin taking courses for any of the degree or certificate tracks during any semester.

No, all tracks are open to all students.

The Blinn College District is an open-admissions institution. The HIT Program is also open-entry to any Blinn student. Students will need to:

  1. Apply to Blinn and follow all the necessary steps to complete their admissions file. Enrollments steps can be found here.
  2. Apply to the HIT Program by submitting an online application.
  3. Receive advising by the HIT program director.

This approximate cost includes tuition, fees, textbooks, immunizations, drug screening, background check, AHIMA membership, and the certification exam.

HIT Program Cost | Coding Certificate Cost

Possibly. Blinn will need official copies of transcripts from all colleges/universities that you have attended in the past to verify if any past courses will count towards your degree.

Financial aid, scholarships, and grants are available to students who need assistance with college expenses.

Students must earn a grade of C (70%) or higher in all HITT and MDCA courses in order to pass. If a student earns a D, F, or drops the course, that course will have to be taken again and will delay progression within the degree plan. If developmental courses are taken, a grade of C (70%) or higher must be earned.
All program plans will require students to complete a clinical during their last semester at a healthcare facility. Clinical site city location can be determined by the student; however, the College needs to know the city location that the student is planning to do clinicals at least one (1) year in advance so contracts can be drawn up. Clinicals require the student to complete 100 hours during normal workday hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Before a student can complete their clinical, they must complete a criminal background check, drug screening, and immunization requirements (at the cost to the student). Additional information will be sent during the semester before you complete the clinical.

E-mail is the preferred form of communication, so documentation is on file.

Phone: 979-830-4275 (leave a voicemail)

The program director will communicate with students via Remind, whether you are in her current course or not. This is a free service and can be set up as a text, email, or use the app. Depending on your text plan, you may be charged per text.