"Prepare for Success"
Music Study at Blinn College
Sculpture Commissioned for the J. Hal & Allyne Machat Music Facility
The sculpture design is based on the treble clef and is located near the north entrance of the Machat Music Facility. The design of the sculpture is meant to be interactive so that students can sit or even play the object like a percussion instrument. The name of the sculpture is GESAMTKUNSTWERK, which is a term for “total art work” coined by Richard Wagner to describe the synthesis of all the arts. The sculpture was donated by Larry Campbell with funds generated by the Campbell Family Recital performed March 30, 2010. Prior to his retirement in May 2013, Campbell served Blinn College for 40 years as the Director of Bands and Fine Arts Division Chair. The Sculptor is Russell Cushman of Navasota, TX.
When considering your choices for beginning your music career, be sure to look at the Blinn College Department of Music. Here's why:
- Blinn College has the highest percentage of academic students who transfer to four-year schools and has the hightest percentage who go on to complete their bachelor's degrees. Blinn College also has a better than 96% pass rate on career-focused licensure and board exams.
- Blinn College Department of Music offers small classes, one-on-one attention, practical learning and easily accessible faculty so that students are actively engaged in a superior learning environment.
- Blinn College music instructors care about students and encourage their individual growth and success so that students become empowered and more confident.
- Blinn College's outstanding music faculty have diverse, hands-on experience and make teaching their top priority so that students are exposed to music, ideas and issues that expand their horizons.
- The Blinn College Department of Music has numerous performing ensembles in the instrumental and vocal areas that provide opportunities to study diverse music, perform in public regularly, travel, network with other student musicians, and offer service to the Music Department through the Kappa Kappa Psi fraternity. During each semester, numerous performances are held in our new Dr. W.W. O'Donnell Performing Arts Center showcasing the quality of our performing groups.
- Blinn College Department of Music consistently places more of its students in the Texas Community College All-State Band than any other community college. Many of our students also participate in the Texas Community College All-State Choir and Jazz Ensembles.
- Above all, we expect excellence and we encourage individual success by providing challenging learning experiences within a supportive environment.
Our outstanding music faculty will prepare you to
succeed at universities, in your career, and in life.
Click here to download the Associates Of Arts-Music Field of Study Curriculum
Blinn College places 40 students in Texas Community College All-State music groups
College once again outpaced all other 2-year schools in Texas
with the placement of 40 students in the Texas Community College
All-State Band and Jazz Band Clinics held during the 2013 TMEA
Convention in San Antonio, TX.
to our students and faculty for an outstanding record of participation
at the annual All-State event year after year.
Blinn College Approves Associates of Arts-Music Field of Study
Blinn approved Area of Arts in Music Field of Study, a 66 hour/4 semester curriculum has been approved for the Associates of Arts Degree-Music Field of Study. This includes 31 hours of core courses as well as 35 hours of music courses. This field of study will enable students to transfer to senior Instructions easily, as well as focus their study toward earning an Associates Degree at Blinn College. To download the ASSOCIATES OF ARTS-MUSIC FIELD OF STUDY CURRICULUM, CLICK HERE.
For scholarship information
and audition dates, contact:
Harry D. Blake
– Director of Bands 979-830-4652
Dr. Sarah Burke
– Director of Percussion Studies 979-830-4015
Dr. Craig Garrett
– Jazz Studies 979-830-4261
Dr. Joel Plaag
- Chorus and Voice Study: 979-830-4239
– Piano Studies 979- 830-4249