Blinn College Blinn A to Z | Directory | About Us | Employment | Support Blinn  
Admissions header image

Bryan/Brenham Fall/Spring Hours

7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday 7:30. - 5:00 p.m.

Summer Semester Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Fall/Spring Hours Monday-Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Summer Semester Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Call Center Hours
All Campuses

8:00am – 5:00pm

Current Student General Information

Change of Name or Address Grade Point Average (GPA)
Adding and Dropping Courses Academic Good Standing
Classification of Student Scholastic Probation or Suspension
Academic Transcript Disciplinary Probation
Grades and Incompletes Withdrawal From College


Change of Name or Address

A student who changes his/her name, home or local address is asked to notify the Office of Admissions and Records and the Library of this change immediately. Students are responsible for notifying these offices of such changes. Any communication mailed by the College to the student at the name and address in their records is considered delivered if notification is not received of any changes. 

To change your local address log in to your myBlinn account and go to the ‘My Records’ tab. Permanent address changes must be made in person at Enrollment Services on the Brenham Campus and at the Office of Admissions and Records on the Bryan and Schulenburg campuses.

Adding and Dropping Courses

No courses may be added later than the date specified in this catalog. Students adding a course must make up the work missed within two weeks after a course is added. A charge of $15.00 is made for each drop or change. 

A student dropping a class after the first two weeks of a regular semester or after the fourth class day of a summer session will receive a grade of "W". Students may drop courses with a grade of "W" until Friday of the twelfth class week in a regular semester and the 15th class day in a summer term. Thereafter, a grade of "WF" will be recorded unless the student is withdrawing because of extenuating circumstances deemed by the instructor of the course or the College. Students may not drop or be dropped from a class after final examinations have begun. 

Classification of Students

A student who has earned fewer than 30 semester hours of college credit is classified as a freshman. A student who has earned 30 or more hours is classified as a sophomore. A student enrolled for at least 12 semester hours in a regular term or at least 4 semester hours in a summer term is considered full-time. 

Academic Transcript

An official transcript of college credits is a record of the student's academic record bearing the college seal and the signature of the Registrar. Blinn College provides transcripts to student free of charge. A student may obtain copies of his/her transcript by written request to the Office of Admissions and Records or by requesting the transcript through BORIS. The written request must include full legal name or name attended under, dates of attendance, student ID/social security number, current telephone number and a legible signature. All admission information must be on file and all holds cleared before an official transcript will be released. Transcript Request Information

Grades and Incompletes

At the end of each semester the standing of each student in each course is reported by the instructor to the Office of Admissions and Records, and entered on records. Proficiency attained is expressed in grades A, B, C, D, P, NP, F, I, W, WP, and WF. The grade of I indicates that the course work was incomplete due to illness or other emergency and may be adjusted to the appropriate grade upon completion of the work required by the instructor. Work that would finish class work already substantially completed will be the only consideration made for work suitable to be made up under an incomplete. A grade of I will become an F at the close of the time period defined by the incomplete contract. The grade of W indicates that the student withdrew before the official withdrawal date as set forth in this catalog. WP and WF indicate the student withdrew passing or failing respectively. 

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Blinn College is on a four-point grading system. For each semester hour, a grade of A has 4 grade points; B, 3 grade points; C, 2 grade points; D, 1 grade point. The maximum grade point score is 4.00 representing an A average. The grade point average is arrived at by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of hours attempted. All grades except I, WP, W, P, and NP are used in the GPA computation. 

Academic Good Standing

In order to achieve and remain in academic good standing at Blinn College, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (C). A 2.0 cumulative grade point average is the minimum required for graduation.

Scholastic Probation or Suspension

A student who falls below a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the close of any long semester or summer school will be placed on scholastic probation. Summer school (two sessions) is considered to be a unit equivalent to a semester. A student who fails to achieve a minimum 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA at the end of subsequent semesters will be placed on scholastic suspension. A student with a semester GPA of greater than 2.0 and a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 will remain on scholastic probation. Students being placed on scholastic probation at the end of the long semester or summer school will receive an email at their Blinn College buc account.  Students being placed on scholastic suspension at the end of the long semester or summer school will be mailed a letter at their permanent address.

Students transferring from another college with less than a 2.0 GPA, if admitted, are admitted on scholastic probation. These students must meet the same requirements in subsequent semesters as all other students on scholastic probation (see above).

A student placed on scholastic probation becomes ineligible to be a candidate for an elective or appointive office of a college-sponsored activity or social organization. This restriction does not apply if participation in the activity or organization is part of the requirements of a college course. The student may be required to forfeit college scholarships, be ineligible to represent the College, and may be subject to a loss of veteran’s benefits and other financial aid. A student on scholastic probation is required to be advised prior to registration. A student that registers prior to the conclusion of the semester they are placed on probation must be re-advised in order to keep their courses. A student placed on scholastic suspension will not be allowed to attend Blinn College for one long (fall, spring) semester. At the conclusion of this suspended semester, the student can reenter the College and will be placed on scholastic probation.

For those students who have been scholastically suspended but have extenuating circumstances preventing them from achieving the minimum 2.0 GPA, an appeal for reinstatement may be made. This appeal must be made in writing to the scholastic appeals committee. Information on the appeal procedure and deadline is included in the letter sent to suspended students. The decision of the scholastic appeals committee is final. No appeal for reinstatement may be made after the appeal deadline. If required, a student must make a
separate appeal for reinstatement of financial aid funds.

Disciplinary Probation

Blinn College maintains rules and regulations and reserves the right to dismiss or to place on disciplinary probation a student who violates or commits an infraction of the rules. The College reserves the right to remove the probation. A student who is placed on disciplinary probation forfeits the privilege of holding elective offices and honors. Any student placed on disciplinary probation or dismissed by the Disciplinary Committee will be afforded due process as provided by Blinn College Board policy. Additional information concerning disciplinary rules and regulations is included in the Blinn College Student Handbook.

Withdrawal From College

A student who desires to withdraw from the College after registration must secure an official discharge from the Office of Admissions and Records after returning all property belonging to the College, and clearing all financial accounts.

Residence Hall students must turn in their room and post office keys, and leave their rooms clean. They must get a clearance concerning possible room damage in order to receive a refund on their room deposit. Refunds must be requested from the Housing Office.

In accordance with state statute, should a student register and withdraw prior to the first day of classes, all tuition, fees (except registration fees and identification card fee), room and board will be refunded.

Tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who withdraws in good standing during the first four weeks of a regular semester, or the first week of a summer semester, according to the refund schedule. The refund on board is proportional calculated on a weekly basis. There is no refund on rent.

If a student who has a scholarship withdraws before the end of the semester, the scholarship is revoked, and the student may be required to repay the scholarship fund.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy
The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating the amount of aid a student and school can retain when the student totally withdraws from all classes. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have "earned" only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The school and/or the student must return the remaining 70%. The Financial Aid Office encourages you to read this policy carefully. If you are thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid.

1. The policy shall apply to all student who withdraw, drop out or are expelled from Blinn College, and receive financial aid from Title IV funds:

a. The term "Title IV Funds" refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: 

Unsubsidized Federal Family Education (FFEL) Loans, subsidized FFEL loans, FFEL Plus loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Equal Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Grants (LEAP Grants).

b. A student's withdrawal date is: 

  • the date the student began the institution's withdrawal process or officially notifies the institution of intent to withdraw, or 
  • the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or 
  • the student's last date of attendance at a documented academically related activity. 

1. Title IV aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per diem basis up to and including the 60% point in the semester. Title IV aid and all other aid is viewed as 100% earned after that point in time. 

a. The percentage of Title IV aid earned shall be calculated as follows: 

Number of days completed by student divided by Total number of days in term* = Percent of term completed

The percent of term completed shall be the percentage of Title IV aid earned by the student. *The total number of calendar days in a term of enrollment shall exclude any scheduled breaks of more than five days. 

b. The percentage of Title IV aid unearned (i.e., to be returned to the appropriate program) shall be 100% minus the percent earned. 

c. Unearned aid shall be returned first by Blinn College from the student's account calculated as follows: 

Total institutional charges times percent of unearned aid = amount returned to program(s) 

Unearned Title IV aid shall be returned to the following programs in the following order: 

1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan 
2. Subsidized Stafford Loan 
3. Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS) 
4. Federal Pell Grant 
5. Federal SEOG 
6. Other Title IV grant programs 
Exception: no program can receive a refund if the student did not receive aid from that program. 

d. When the total amount of unearned aid is greater than the amount returned by Blinn College from the student's account, the student is responsible for returning unearned aid to the appropriate program(s) as follows: 

1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan* 
2. Subsidized Stafford Loan* 
3. Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)*
4. Federal Pell Grant** 
5. Federal SEOG** 
6. Other Title IV grant programs** 

* Loan amounts are returned with the terms of the promissory note. 
**Amounts to be returned by the student to federal grant programs will receive a 50% discount. 

2. Refunds and adjusted bills will be sent to the student's home address on file in the Registrar's Office following withdrawal. Students are responsible for any portion of their institutional charges that are left outstanding after the Title IV funds are returned. 
3. Institutional and student responsibilities in regard to the return of Title IV funds 

a. Blinn College's responsibilities in regard to the Title IV funds include:

  • Providing each student with the information given in this policy 
  • Identifying students who are affected by this policy and completing the Return of Title IV Funds calculation for those students; 
  • returning any Title IV funds that are due the Title IV programs. 

b. The student's responsibilities in regard to the return of Title IV funds include:

  • Becoming familiar with the Return of Title IV policy and how complete withdrawal affects eligibility for Title IV aid;
  • Returning to the Title IV programs any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and which the student was determined to be ineligible for via the Return of Title IV funds calculation. 

4. The fees, procedures, and policies listed above superseded those published previously and are subject to change at any time. 

5. Any notification of a withdrawal or cancellation of classes should be in writing and addressed to the Admission's Office. A copy of such document will be taken to the Financial Aid Office. Credit Hour program example: 

Step 1. Determine the percentage of time the student was enrolled as of withdrawal.

  • A student withdrew after attending 20 days of a payment period that spans 107 days from first day to last. The period includes one 7-day break that begins on a Thursday and ends on the following Wednesday (classes resume on Thursday). Excluding this break leaves 100 calendar days in the period. This student was enrolled for 20% (20/100) of the payment period. 

Step 2. Determine the amount of aid earned by the student.

  • Andrew was awarded $5,000 in Title IV funds per payment period, and all of it had been disbursed by the time he withdrew. He attended 20% of the payment period, thus he earned $1,000 (20% of $5,000). 

Step 3. Compare the amount earned to the amount disbursed

  • For instance above, Andrew only earned $1,000 but received $5,000. $4,000 would need to be returned to Title IV. 

Step 4. Allocate the responsibility for returning unearned aid between the school and the student. 

Institutional charges for the period would have to be determined. An example:

Tuition and Fees








Percentage of Title IV aid unearned using Andrews information= 80% 
Multiply $3,000 times 80% = $2,400 
Compare the amount of Title IV aid to be returned ($4,000) to above. The school must return the lesser amount ($2,400). 

Step 5. Distribute the unearned funds back to the Title IV programs.

  • Subtract the amount of Title IV aid due from the school from the amount of Title IV aid to be returned. $4,000 minus $2,400 = $1,600 
  • The student (or parent for a PLUS loan) must return unearned aid for which the student is responsible by repaying funds as noted in the policy up to the total net amount disbursed from each source, after subtracting the amount the school will return. Amounts to be returned to grants are reduced by 50%**. 
    1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan* 
    2. Subsidized Stafford Loan* 
    4. Federal Pell Grant** 
    3. Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)*
    5. Federal SEOG** 
    6. Other Title IV grant programs** 

*Loan amounts are returned with the terms of the promissory note. No further action is required other than notification to the holder of the loan of the student's withdrawal date.

Student wanting to withdraw from school must submit a letter requesting withdrawal or complete the Blinn College Exit/Withdrawal Clearance Form. If the student submits a letter requesting withdrawal, the effective date of withdrawal will be the postmark date of the letter minus one day. When submitting the exit/withdrawal clearance form, the effective date of withdrawal will be the date the form is received by the Admissions and Records office. All requests for withdrawal must include full name, social security number, and student signature. Withdrawal letters should be addressed to the Office of Admissions and Records, 902 College Ave., Brenham, Texas 77833. Students attending any Bryan Campus should address their letters to the Office of Admissions and Records, P.O. Box 6030, Bryan, Texas 77805-6030. Students attending the Schulenburg campus should address their letters to the Office of Admissions and Records, 100 Ranger Dr., Schulenburg, TX 78956.

Students electing to fax their withdrawal requests should use the appropriate fax numbers listed below: 

Brenham Campus - (979) 830-4110 

Bryan Campus - (979) 209-7229 

Schulenburg Campus - (979) 743-3978