You can have working sessions and share and edit files with others by using
desktop and program sharing. It only takes a couple of clicks to share your
screen with a colleague in another location.
What do you want to do?
Share your desktop
Let everyone in the conversation or meeting view your desktop, or choose a
specific monitor to share.
Do one of the following:
- To share in a meeting, open Microsoft Outlook Calendar, open the meeting
invitation, and click the Join online meeting or meeting
- To share in an instant-messaging conversation, open Microsoft Lync 2010,
and double-click a contact that you want to share with. To add contacts, in
the conversation window, click the People Options button,
click Invite by Name or Phone Number, and select contacts to
In the conversation window, click Share. If you have only one
monitor, click Desktop. Otherwise, click the monitor that you
want to share.
Note Whenever you’re actively
sharing, a bar is shown at the top of the window that reads You
are now sharing. The meeting stage, in the right pane, shows a preview of
what attendees are seeing, and a glow appears around the area being shared.
For a video demonstration of how to share your desktop, see Video:
Share your desktop.
Choose an open program to share
You might want to share only a particular program and its associated
- In a conversation window, click Share, and then click Program.
- In the Share Desktop or Applications dialog box, under Select applications you want to share, click the program that you
want to show, and then click Share.
sharing your desktop, monitor, or program
To stop sharing, do the following:
- On the sharing bar at the top of your screen, click the Stop
Give control to others
When you start sharing your desktop, a monitor, or a program, you’re the only
one in control. When you’re ready, you can allow others to use their own mouse
and keyboard to navigate and make changes to whatever you’re sharing. You can
take back control at any time.
- On the sharing bar at the top of your screen, click the Give
Control button on the sharing bar at the top of your screen, and then do
one of the following:.
- To allow anyone in the meeting to automatically take control of your
computer, click Automatically accept control requests.
- To give control only to an individual, click the person’s name under Attendees.
Note If you choose an
individual, this person can immediately control your mouse and make edits using
his or her keyboard. If you choose the Automatically accept control
requests option, people will automatically get control when they click Request Control, on the sharing bar.
control at any time
To take back control, do the following:
- On the sharing bar at the top of your screen, click Give
Control, and then click the selected option, either Automatically accept control requests is selected or Take Back Control.
Stop people from being able to share
If you have presenter privileges, you can prevent other people from sharing
by doing the following:
- In the conversation window, click the drop-down list beside the People Options button, and then click Make Everyone
When another person is sharing, you can request to take control.
- On the sharing bar at the top of your screen, click Request
Control. The person sharing must accept your request before you can take